Rehabilitation Medicine Description (Pending)
HISTORY AND MILESTONES
The following timeline shows the history and various achievements of the department:
1910 – The department started as part of the Department of Radiology. The first department head was Dr. Ricardo Fernandez, a radiologist. A Japanese, Mr. Suzimoto, worked as a masseur.
1940s – The department’s name changed three times during Dr. Paterno S. Chikiamco’s term as the department head. Initially changed to the Institute of X-ray and Radium Therapy in 1941, the department’s name was later changed to the Department of X-ray and Physical Therapy. Eventually, the department was renamed to the Department of Radiology and Physical Medicine.
1953 – Dr. Guillermo R. Damian became the first formally trained Physician-Physiatrist. As a result, the department was renamed Section of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation.
1959 – The department became the first in the country to offer inpatient rehabilitative services, with 2 female beds and 2 male beds located in Ward 8 and Ward 10 respectively.
1960 – The College of Medicine included Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation in its curriculum.
1971 – Physical medicine was recognized as a distinct specialty from radiology. Thus the Department of Rehabilitation of Medicine was created by the Board of Regents. Dr. Guillermo R. Damian became the first chairman of the department. The department consisted of the sections of physical therapy and occupational therapy, with each section being run by a consultant, a resident, a nurse-physical therapist, and an institutional worker.
1974 – A three-year residency period was created and formalized, with the concomitant creation of four positions for residents-in-training.
1977 – During the term of Dr. Antonio Periquet. a two-week rotation in the department was included in the medical interns’ curriculum. The section of speech therapy opened during this time.
1978 – The cardiac rehabilitation program was implemented.
1981 – The stroke clinic was established to address the growing number of stroke patients being referred to the department. An electromyography machine was donated by the World Rehabilitation Fund, which led to the establishment of the electrodiagnostic clinic. This clinic was headed by Dr. Estelita M. Chua, a graduate of the department’s residency training program who underwent fellowship training on electrodiagnosis in the University of Maryland.
1986 – During the term of Dr. Robert D. Lim, a Memorandum of Agreement was drawn between UP Manila and the Don Juan Cojuangco Foundation for a grant which allowed the renovation of the department and reinforcement of the paramedical personnel. A library and a conference room were created, and the residents and consultants, as well as each of the sections, received their own working area.
With the renovation of PGH and the building of the Central Block, the Department was transferred to Ward 5 and the mezzanine was built for offices and conference rooms.
The brace clinic was also started.
1990 – A multi-disciplinary approach on the care of burn patients was established with the Plastic and reconstructive Section of Surgery. The CLAP (Cleft Lip and Palate) clinic, Pain clinic and the MCAU (Multidisciplinary Chiild and Adult Unit) rotations and coordination were started with the respective clinical departments.
1991 – During the term of Dr. Rosalinda Elena Milla as Chair, the rehabilitation ward was expanded to 16 beds to accommodate the increasing patient load, and the paramedical services were streamlined to ensure efficient delivery of services.
1992 – The Department started actively celebrating the National Disability and Rehabilitation Week, which became an annual celebration from then on.
1994 – The Department became the lead partner of the Department of Health’s Community-Based Rehabilitation (CBR) Program where barangay health workers and volunteers were taught the basic principles of disability recognition and management. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program was formalized and organized into the Comprehensive Ambulatory Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program (CARE), as a joint undertaking with the Section of Pulmonology of the Department of Medicine.
1998 – The free Special Eduction (SPED) Program was established by Dr. Betty Dy-Mancao, then the chair of the department. It was the country’s first DECS-accredited hospital-based public school.
2000 – Luntiang Paraiso, a flagship project of the department was inaugurated, through the generous contribution of Dona Lualhati A. Cojuangco.
2000- The Department became actively involved in the new Organ System Integration program of the College of Medicine in the planning and eventual implementation on the curriculum for medical students.
2001 – The research program of the department was consolidated through collaboration with DOST for the training of dedicated faculty. Two SPED classrooms were constructed in the heart of the Luntiang Paraiso through the donation of the Rotary Club of Manila San Miguel. The residency training program was revamped to an innovative self-directed problem-based learning curriculum.
Dr Jennylyn Alviar spearheaded strengthening of the research program of the department resulting in many award winning papers presented in both local and international medical fora.
2002 – Dr. Josephine Bundoc , Chairperson, modified the resident’s curriculum to a modular type and spearheaded the department’s first postgraduate course, eventually becoming an annual event.
A Geriatric clinic headed by Dr. Dotty Dy Ching Bing was established in coordination with the Department of Internal Medicine and Department of Family and Community Medicine.
2003 – Sports clinic with the Department of Orthopedics was established.
2004 – A joint project with Mahaveer Philippines Foundation Inc. was started to provide Jaipur prosthetic limbs to amputees.
The Stroke Support group was started and has gained strength in numbers and projects through the succeeding years
2006 – Dr. Sharon Ignacio, as Chair established academic linkage with New York University through physiatrist Dr. Brian O’Young was formalized.
Renovation of the Pediatric OT section was completed through the donations of the Rotary Club of Manila East.
The Prosthetic and Orthotic Service, a joint program of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery and the Department of Rehabilitation Medicine, was inaugurated.
2007 – Dr. Teresita Joy P. Evangelista, took over as Chairperson of the Department, and, at the same time, President of the Philippine Academy of the Rehabilitation Medicine.
The Rayuma Club, a lay support group for arthritic patients was started this year.
The centennial year for the Philippine General Hospital saw many changes in the department including the reorganization of the Rehabilitation Team Conference, the formation of a quality management system for ISO 9001:2000, and the establishment of the Amputee ward and the Walking Assistance & Learning Key (WALK) unit.
- Jose Alvin P. Mojica, MD, MPHeD (Chairman)
- Joycie Eulah H. Abiera, MD
- Cynthia D. Ang-Muñoz, MD
- Mylene Rose Z. Benigno, MD
- Josephine R. Bundoc, MD
- Joel Regino E. Contreras, MD
- Dorothy Dy Ching Bing-Agsaoay, MD
- Jerico S. Dela Cruz, MD
- Kristopher De Leon, MD
- Teresita Joy P. Evangelista, MD
- Ma. Hazel Rita Therese R. Gazmen, MD
- Sharon D. Ignacio, MD
- Gaerlan D. Inciong, MD
- Monalisa Lim-Dungca, MD
- Carl Froilan Leochico, MD
- Betty D. Mancao, MD
- Noel Nathaniel Napa, MD
- Jose Bonifacio S. Rafanan, MD
- Reynaldo Rey-Matias, MD
- Mayla Wahab, MD
- Anna Cecilia S. Tiangco, MD
- Physical therapy
- Occupational therapy
- Speech and swallowing therapy
- Neuromuscular and Electrodiagnostic Medicine (EMG NCV)
- Musculoskeletal Ultrasound (MSK-UTZ)
- Ultrasound-guided interventions
- Motion Analysis
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Department of Rehabilitation Medicine
University of the Philippines College of Medicine – Philippine General Hospital
Taft Avenue, Manila 1000
REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
TELEPHONE: 554-8400 loc. 2403/2411